We only sell 3D printers we have tested and love. While there are no bad decisions, the best fit depends on your skill level and your budget. If you're looking for the easiest possible option, the Alpha Toybox has a large library of curated 3d models, simple software to use from your phone and a flexible build plate to remove prints. For first time 3D printer owners who might want a few more options while without any assembly, we highly recommend either the Monoprice Mini Select v2, or the Lulzbot mini.
All three have great build quality and you can have it unpacked and printing in a few minutes. If you are looking to grow your skills as you go, you might want to lean towards the Lulzbot mini and modify the open sourced design and settings.
If you are looking for something a bit more robust, you'll have a lot more material options from PETG to Carbon Fiber with the Monoprice Maker Select or the Lulzbot Taz 6. Both require a lite setup process but they can be assembled in under 30 minutes and no heavy machinery is required. Like the Lulzbot Mini, the Taz 6 is also open source, making modifications to the printer more accessible.
Monoprice Maker Select
- The Monoprice maker select is a large volume FDM printer, with a heated bed, capable of printing with ABS, PLA, and other, more exotic materials. Another option great for users that are looking for an easy-to-setup and budget-friendly option for larger volume printing. It also includes Monoprice’s standard 1-year warranty and Monoprice's dedicated support!
- Good build volume
- ABS, PLA, PETG
- Relatively simple setup
- Great UI
- Print via USB or SD Card
- No wifi
- No auto leveling, adjustment requires more user effort
- Monoprice Mini Select v2
- The Monoprice Select Mini is OEM’d and supported by Monoprice, based out of Rancho Cucamonga. It’s a small and incredibly robust machine, perfect for the user with little space that would prefer turnkey printing. With features like simple Z gapping and wifi printing, you’ll be up and running in under an hour after unboxing. Perfect for the user that wants to focus on prints, not tinkering with their machine.
- Requires no setup other than basic z-gapping
- Print via wifi
- Heated build plate
- Monoprice warranty
- Small build volume
- ABS/PLA only
- Lulzbot Mini
- The Lulzbot Mini is a FDM 3d printer built by Lulzbot in Colorado. It’s on an open source platform, which means all the documentation and design is available to anyone who wants to build one! It takes almost no time at all to set up and is extremely intuitive which is uncommon for an open source machine. This allows for easy user modification and extension of an existing platform. It’s a printer that grows with you!
- Made in the US
- Open source
- Heated bed
- Robust user community, Curated slicer, etc
- A lack of internal hard drive requires a computer attached while printing. Disconnecting your computer from the machine will stop the print, so make sure you have a device to dedicate to it.
- Lulzbot TAZ 6
- The TAZ 6 is a FDM 3d printer built by Lulzbot in Colorado. It’s an open source platform, which means all the documentation and design is available to anyone who wants to build one! This allows for easy user modification and extension of an existing platform. It’s a printer that grows with you!
- Heated bed
- Auto Leveling
- Enormous build area
- Same user community as Mini
- Auto Cleaning nozzle
- Runs any non-flexible filament well
- A large build area comes with a big printer footprint, so make sure you have space to dedicate to it.
- Standalone printer control requires navigation through multiple menus with a rotary pushbutton.